Thursday, December 08, 2011

The Value of Anxiety

Many a time it happens that we “think” we know our selves, but in reality we do not. This is especially true about people who are new to philosophy. Young men and women read philosophy and learn many things from the books; sometimes they also experience certain truths. This little knowledge leads them to false notion that they know more than others and also understands their nature better. This is nothing but a premature stage of learning. 

Knowledge is not knowledge until there’s no doubt about its truthfulness. Thus a sole experience is not sufficient to develop strong faith in any truth. Consequently it makes following the ideas explained in the books especially regarding morality and ethics risky. 

I know that there is nothing like sin in this world, but if thinking about some past event, some small or big mistake, or some small or big sin, produces anxiety then I have not understood myself properly. The new knowledge acquired from books about the absurd nature of sin is not helping me, but is only producing a cognitive dissonance. If I feel anxiety at the mere thought of what I have done in the past then I am still my old past self. The new knowledge has not changed my nature a bit.  
Listen to Your Body and Mind CC
The feeling of anxiety is same as your mind shouting to your whole being that what you have done or what you are doing is something foreign to your personality. It is not suitable or healthy for your mental and spiritual health. It helps us realize our true nature which is not permanent, but mutable. Here in lies the value of anxiety.  

No comments:

Post a Comment